YAY LIT QUIZ
1) What author do you own the most books by?
Because I'm so poor it takes only pang's gift of seven books by the Brönte sisters to make Charlotte Brönte the author I own the most books by. Except that I fell asleep trying to read two out of her four books.

Besides that, among the admirable three I bought for myself (not counting lit books, of which Shakespeare is a clear winner), it has to be Cyril Wong with his two books. The last one belongs to Neruda.

2) What book do you own the most copies of?
Because I have two copies of every lit text I have it's Pride and Prejudice, two copies for lit and one bought a long while back.

3) Did it bother you that both those questions ended with prepositions?
Nope; WHY, DOES ANYONE HAVE A PROBLEM WITH PREPOSITIONS? Do you hear them crying about the unfairness of being discriminated against? I mean for all you know they could be lovers with question marks and those evul prejudiced people are preventing these star-crossed lovers from being together!

4) What fictional character are you secretly in love with?
For secretly it'll be Roarke from J.D. Robb's In Death series (yes my romance novel phase in sec two) Otherwise it'll be FITZWILLIAM DARCY~

Dream of every girl who takes lit. I swear Ms Lye has a crush on him. Although Ms Veera does seem to be the exception; quote, "I'm not so in love with darcy to do him for ten years!"

Aww poor Darcy feels like his sexual prowess just got insulted.

5) What book have you read the most times in your life?
Um. Does reading them for lit count :D Pride and Prejudice and A Handmaid's Tale (HEART HEART HEART)

6) What was your favorite book when you were ten years old?
Let's see I can't remember if that was my Sweet Valley phase or my Babysitters' Club phase. EITHER WAY.

7) What is the worst book you've read in the past year?
Mr Darcy Takes A Wife -smacks head- I seriously solemnly swear that I had high hopes of it being more than a fanfic of some author's deepest fantasies. Although it was quite entertaining for the first few pages; let's just say that I had a rather fascinating preview into the author's fantasies of Darcy's sexual prowess. I think I can say it's better than Twilight. Not that I've read any of those. Or for that matter I didn't finish Mr Darcy Takes a Wife either. I'm rather allergic to wasting my time.

8) What is the best book you've read in the past year?
Uh, that's a hard one. Because I feel rather attached to idealistic love stories it'd be a struggle between Time Traveller's Wife and Everything is Illuminated. And for something not so idealistic, Glen Duncan's Love Remains. Although I know the title sounds idealistic.

9) If you could force everyone you tagged to read one book, what would it be?
Handmaid's Tale.

10) Who deserves to win the next Nobel Prize for Literature?
I'm not sure, the "most outstanding work in an ideal direction" seems like a rather heavy burden.

11) What book would you most like to see made into a movie?
WELLLL

Flowers for algernon? Is there a movie already? And actually I'd like a better Everything is Illuminated, the movie left out the whole backstory which is basically the best part of it 0.o


12) What book would you least like to see made into a movie?
I'll tell you when I stumble upon it.


13) Describe your weirdest dream involving a writer, book, or literary character.
My dreams pretty much get forgotten unfortunately, I'd love to dream about darcy :D


14) What is the most lowbrow book you've read as an adult?
Not an adult yet :D

But books that are considered "lowbrow" like the chick lit books are quite funny actually. I mean, CAN YOU READ TWILIGHT WITHOUT LAUGHING?


15) What is the most difficult book you've ever read?
I think I basically give up if they're difficult. Uh, Hamlet? -tries to wax lyrical on the poetic complexities of Hamlet's mind-


16) What is the most obscure Shakespeare play you've seen?
Considering I've only seen one shakespare play being acted on (midsummer night's dream and that's hardly obscure) I don't think I can be a great judge on this. The most obscure plays I've read though, uh I think it still comes down to Hamlet? Since I don't think Merchant of Venice, Macbeth and Othello can be considered great contenders for that title.


17) Do you prefer the French or the Russians?
FRENCH

That's only because I don't read the Russians.

18) Edwin Thumboo or Arthur Yap?
ARTHUR YAP

Except I think that's due to that leeetle bias I have against edwin thumboo ever since I fell asleep in his talk in rgs. And also because of that I haven't really read his poetry.

19) Cyril Wong or Alfian Saat?
Cyril Wong! As seen by the 66 percent hefty proportion of his books in my collection.

20) Shakespeare, Milton, or Chaucer?
Shakespeare, duh

(haven't really read the others, I guiltily admit. Especially Chaucer. At least for Milton I can remember he's blind.)

21) Austen or Eliot?
WELL LOOK ABOVE, WHO WROTE DARCY INTO LIFE HUHUHUH

Haven't read Eliot!

22) What is the biggest or most embarrassing gap in your reading?
Uh, basically all the literary classics like PARADISE LOST, INFERNO, Petrach's dunno how many million love sonnets, etc and etc--

ACTUALLY THERE ARE PLENTY OF EMBARRASSING GAPS IN MY READING. OH DEAR.

23) What is your favourite novel?
Tug-of-war between Everything is Illuminated and Time Traveller's Wife. Told you I indulge in these romantic ideals too much for my health.

24) Play?
An Inspector Calls, even though we did the discrimination theme to death. And Pygmalion!

25) Poem?
Are you sure you want me to list them???

At the moment, Linda Gregg's Marriage and Midsummer's Night

26) Essay?
Let's just say I'm not interested enough in them to have a proper decision, but uh yeah A Modest Proposal for being actually read by me.

27) Short story?
Does Flowers for Algernon count as one?

I'M READING A SHORT STORY ANTHOLOGY NOW, TELL YOU WHEN ONE STRIKES ME EXTREMELY HARD

28) Work of nonfiction?
Seductress by Betsy Priouleau

29) Who is your favourite writer?
Jonathan Safran Foerrrrr

30) Who is the most overrated writer alive today?
Whats-her-name who wrote twilight OH YEAH STEPHANIE MEYERS

I guess she has to be acknowledged for creating much-needed cheer in today's gloomy world.

31) What is your desert island book?
Honestly I can't have ONE book to read only?? Especially on a desert island??

Maybe my poetry book so that I can whine about how sad my life is being stuck on a desert island.

32) And... what are you reading right now?
My Mistress's Sparrow is Dead (anthology edited by Jeffrey Eugenides), Paper Towns (John Green), Girl with a Pearl Earring (Tracy Chevalier), The Unswept Room (Sharon Olds), Selected Poems (Carl Sandburg), Advertising by Design and a rather suspicious NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant (Anne Tyler).

Honestly if there are any books I don't trust they are the NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER, INTERNATIONAL BESTSELLER etc etc. Must be the repercussions of reading too many romance novels at the tender age of fourteen, every one of them proclaiming themselves to be BESTSELLER everywhere.


0 flowers

0 Comments:

far and wee

you and i together mysteriously and always floating
Wednesday, June 24 12:59 AM








Disclaimer: These are purely my views.
x lee zhi xin
x bayley-waddlian
x rafflesian
x 102'04, 202'05, 309'06, 409'07, 09S05C
x leo
x 7th august
x Blog template by myself
x Clip art by various websites
x Quotes by e.e. cummings
x mel_lzx22@hotmail.com
x Wordpress | Livejournal | Tumblr | Facebook | Flickr | Twitter
x 409 class blog!

Alina | Arias | Joy | Jnanee | Kevyna | Lee Qi | Leican | Lena | Melissa | Rowena | Sal | Stacey | Sze Yen | Ya Shan | Yin Fei | Zhi Hua

Audrey | Charmaine | Cheryl | Class blog | Da Shen | Geraldine | Jessie | Kwek Yong | Hui min | Macey | Sara | Sharon | Valerie | Wenda | Xiang ying | Yan Ting | Yen Yen

Adwyn | Amanda | Arathi | Celine | Danielle | Danitza | Edmond | Elizabeth | Hongchuan | Jaz | Jeannie | John Leo | Jun Hui | Kaleni | Kerry | Kristin | Kylie | Lis | Livia | Manda | Nerine | Rachel Ong | Rachel Oon | Ruiling | Sam Chan | Sarah | Paul Chu | Yanne | Yuan Kheng

Andrea | Atiqa | Cindy | Guo Jun | Hui Fen | Jean | Jefferson | Jia Yi | Jie Min | Karliang | Kersheng | Kelly | Sheena | Shi Ning | Shirleen | Soo Hiang | Thomas | Yi Tao | Yuling