Every night I face negative externalities from my inconsiderate smoking neighbours around me. One smokes upstairs/downstairs my balcony and another smokes upstairs/downstairs my room, which happen to be opposite the balcony. Normally they are considerate enough not to synchronize their timings to smoke, but what this means is that when the one near my room smokes I have to rush out of my room in absolute and godly fear of getting lung cancer and when the other one smokes I have to rush into my room and slam the door. And also if they smoke at the same time I lie on my bed and pray fervently to the gods above to let me hold my breath longer without suffocating.
Therefore, this has inspired me to come up with a new policy in support of your already existent and praise-worthy regulations!
Following the smoking and non-smoking areas already implemented in the coffeeshops and bars around us (and which I highly commend, except that I would do without the smoking areas entirely if I can and catapult the smokers all to uh, Somalia or something), I would suggest a further step to these very admirable policies: the implementation of smoking and non-smoking flats!
Being a wise person, I understand that you cannot completely ban smoking altogether even though it consists of lots of negative externalities and causes cancer in many innocent people. Therefore, to minimize the negative externality, it would be entirely logical to do what you have done to the Jurong Island companies: by dumping them all onto an island far far away from the mainland!
Now, the first step would be to evacuate all smokers from the non-smoking buildings, ie the existing HDB blocks. Next, we pick a spot that is ulu enough to accomodate these inconsiderate indirect murderers. I would suggest Pulau Ubin, so that no other poor school kids have to stay there for camps that supposedly increase your ability to survive in the wild. However, that would be very mean to the villagers who have been there since forever pursuing some very long ago memories so perhaps we should locate it at Pedra Blanca. Or Choa Chu Kang, that seems ulu enough. This place should also be near a fire station, for obvious reasons. Though not so near because our dear firemen are innocent too and we need them not to die from lung cancer.
Anyway. After deciding on the place we build the flats and force all the smokers to go there while retaining their former flats for their poor family members who have been suffering all these silent years. Pretty soon we'll see the smoke rising up from the flat everyday like Indonesian forest fires.
It will be a win-win solution for both the non smokers and the smokers as we will not need to suffer negative externalities, while smokers can gain more value from their money by inhaling others' smoke and recycling their own! As well as die earlier so that the earth does not have to suffer so much from their selfishness. Therefore, it is in the country's best interests that I recommend this policy to be implemented.
Yours sincerely,
an innocent bystander who loves her health, thank you very much