Politics, screaming brothers and passion
The bad thing about living in a highly contested (yes, I know my area is super popular, what can I say except that it's cause I'm living inside? :D) area is that you hear loudspeakers blaring all the time.
Yes, I happen to live in Aljunied GRC. A saddening fact I know.
At random times of the day, you'll hear this loud (and irritating, especially when you're trying to concentrate on your maths assignment) voice blaring all across telling you to vote for PAP/WP. Mostly it's the PAP, telling you how honoured they have been serving us (thank you thank you, we know that already) for the past five years and repeating their motto over and over again what staying together moving ahead. The worst thing is, all that is repeated 4 or 5 times in dunno-how-many different languages
each time, and it just simply makes you want to go down and tell them to stop repeating since you get the idea already.
Of course, I'm an apathetic youth, but who cares. It's not like Singapore even wants me to be its citizen anyway. *snorts* According to the IC making place, in order for me to become a citizen, my father (not my mother, cause she doesn't have a job wth) has to become a singaporean first to sponsor me, or I would have to be at least 21 with a job.
And the point is, I've been living in Singapore for my ENTIRE life and I've even been born here. I haven't even LIVED anywhere else except on holidays. The only reason why I'm a PR is cause my parents are PRs.
Well, who cares. You'll REGRET IT one day. Moohaha.
So my entire family isn't voting cause
we aren't singaporeans, and so we can afford to be apathetic. (:
And we've been receiving leaflets, magazines, magnets and what-not with PAP faces on them. I've only received one WP magazine, and it wasn't as colourful as PAP's cause PAP obviously has more resources. And we currently have on PAP magnet stuck to our staircase railing with five faces grinning at us. See, we're so patriotic (the irony), we actually stuck it in a prominent place such that whenever we eat we'll see their faces.
And whenever I walk back home, I'll see dozens of boards with lightning bolts and hammers stuck on
every lamp post, and I mean EVERY. The poor lamp-posts. I can just hear their cries of torment. Imagine having dozens of heavy boards stuck on you while having to serve others by shining your light.
The sad thing is, even though it's election day on 6th May, tuition class doesn't get cancelled. SIGH.
(and there, another voice telling you to vote for PAP goes off again)
---
Zhi Hua and Zhi Min came over to my house for Lit project (zhimin: "wow your room is so pink!") (zhihua: "your room looks --" me: "a lot neater than usual, I know."), and it went off uneventfully until my brother came back home and got it in his mind that it's his personal mission to stick his butt in my room to disturb us.
So my sister had to drag a kicking and screaming Lee Zong Xian out of the room, while Zhi Min watched on in horror. I immediately jumped on my feet and locked the door to keep him out there, and we could hear screams and desperate sobs and pounding on my door for a few long minutes before it quietened down.
7-year-old brothers are annoying. And the thing is, HE HAS A MORE VISIBLE TAN LINE THAN ME. Eeeks. it's cause he's been playing soccer everyday out under the sun. And having swimming lessons every sunday. Humph.
---
Well JG finals was on friday, and I rushed over straight from chinese drama barely having enough time to gulp down my mos burger, only to find out that I didn't know anyone there to sit with in the theatre.
So I went back out, and luckily at that point Jaz and Susannah came up the stairs. By then the NY vs UWC debate had started and so we waited outside in the sweltering stiffling heat, and soon after david crawshaw came up the stairs too. Trust me, waiting outside perspiring profusely is NOT a very good sensation. Especially when the aircon is
so near, yet so far! Well what can I say. UWC won third, MGS won first. MGS was shrieking away at the results, threatening to burst my eardrums. (Kaiyan, while trying to soothe her eardrums: "Girls SHOULDN'T scream!") I had to leave early cause my dad was practically screaming at me on my handphone (how am I supposed to know that the ajudicator would CRAP SO MUCH?!) and I only stayed long enough to find out the results. Quite disappointed that no one from rgs got ranked top 20, especially since Kylie was such a good speaker.
Haha, and expectedly, Sam Cheam got ranked top AGAIN for two years running. :D First speaker apparently to get ranked top twice in A div! Second and third were from UWC, and the rest I can't remember.
But anyway it was a great debate, and it was very difficult to see who had won. I can just feel the passion for debating sizzling there. It's quite cool and inspiring. Once a debater, always a debater! (:
Just like "Once a Rafflesian, always a Rafflesian". Go Joan chan! You can make it through cancer! And we, people from your alma mater school, will continue supporting you to the fullest. After all, once a rafflesian, always a rafflesian. (:
0 flowers
0 Comments:
far and wee
you and i together mysteriously and always floating
Sunday, April 30
8:05 PM